Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The Green and Gold of my Island Home (Janis Frost)








My inspiration came from the rainforests here in Queensland since that is where I live. I also like the the green and gold theme because it's the year of the Olympics. I started off with an old wooden picture frame which I found at Salvation Army for 30c ( I like recycling). I borrowed ideas from Christi Friesen's books and I used Kato clay for all clay components including liquid Kato. The fine vines were created with a Makins clay extruder. The other non clay products include fresh water pearls, wire, pearlex powders, Lisa Pavelka blank waterslide transfers for the title which is on a base of Kato clay, gold paint for the picture frame and a top coat of varnish to preserve the pearlex and give the rainforest a wet look. The green clay was a mixture of aqua and gold in varying degrees to get subtle changes in the green. Most of the design was hand sculpted in a CF manner and a few of the smaller leaves were created with texture plates and leaf cutters. The tiny dragonfly which the frog has his eye on was made using a tiny mould created from a charm on a bracelet. The middle plate with the title will come out for the placement of a photo at a later stage for the person who has bought it.

No comments: