Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Natures Gifts (Helen Wilmot)






Nature’s Gifts

Branches

I used a mix of chocolate and caramel colours. I wanted them fairly well blended but wasn’t overly fussy about different shades sowing through. I created some rolls about .5cm thick. I cut two logs of similar length then others at random lengths and cut on an angle. The two of similar length were crossed over each other. The others were attached by using a knitting needle to smooth the joins. I used a pencil to make some shallow dents and gouges in the wood. I inserted two eye pins at the top of the branches.

Leaves

I used Metallic Opal Green clay to create a short, fat log. I cut the log in half lengthways and covered one flat side with metallic gold clay. The log was then reduced and shaped into a tear drop cane. Each leaf was cut from the cane and then shaped before adding it to the tree. I added leaves over where the eye pins went in so that they were hidden.

Koala

This was a Christi Friesen inspired model. I mixed black and white clays to achieve the grey I wanted. I made two oval ‘beads’ one larger than the other then joined them. Using a small grey tear drop shape I attached this to the front of the ‘face’ and smoothed the join using a knitting needle. This was then covered with a black clay oval. Two small white balls formed the outer eyes and I strung a black seed bead onto wire and twisted it before piercing the middle of the white ball. This created the eye. Using a toothpick I teased the clay around the eyes to feather it. The same process was also used under the nose to form the mouth. I shaped the ears and pressed some white clay along the edges and feathered this as well. Then I attached the ears to the head and smoothed the seams over with the knitting needle. I formed the arms and legs out of grey logs and used a craft knife and toothpick to form the toes and fingers. Finally I added small black claws to each hand and foot.

Kookaburra

I used a piece of scrap clay to form the shape of the body. I made a blue/grey log, white log and brown log. These were reduced into tiny tear drop shaped canes which were sliced very thinly to create the individual feathers. The tail feathers and flight feathers were brown logs with a white thin log attached to one side. I cut the clay in several places and covered the flat side with a darker brown. Once this was formed into a teardrop shaped cane slices were used for the feathers. I used black seed beads again to form the eyes and a small triangle of brown clay with a layer of orange was attached as the beak. I then used my craft knife to open the mouth and inserted a small blue log of clay. The feet was a small ball of caramel clay which I cut in half then used a craft knife to form the claws.

Gum Flowers

I used tiny logs of caramel clay. I held it between thumb and forefinger and flattened one end. I slowly pushed and turned a burnishing tool into the clay so it formed a bell. I used red clay and the extruder to create the tiny flowers. I cut these off and inserted them into the bell with a craft knife. I used a mix of Liquid PC and yellow oil paint and dabbed it onto the ends of the flowers.

Green Tree Snake

I made a log out of scrap clay and flattened and shaped one end to look like the head. I mixed emerald and metallic opal greens to make the green colour I wanted. Then I put it through the pasta machine on the second thinnest setting. I lay the log on top of the green sheet and cut around the log with a craft knife. I blended white and yellow to make the underbelly colour. I also ran this through the pasta machine on the second thinnest setting. I lay the other side of the log on the yellow and cut round it with a craft knife. Very gently I went around the snake smoothing on the skin and joining it along the edges where the green and yellow met. I added black seed beads for eyes then used a tiny daisy cutter on its edge to press on the scale effect. I made a hole for the tongue and used a small log which I cut into a fork with my craft knife. Then I wrapped it around the tree.

Overall

I made the branches first. Then I baked them before making the koala. The Koala was wedged into the ‘v’ formed by the branches before baking the whole lot again. I made the kookaburra next and used some liquid PC to strengthen the attachment to the branch. Then I baked the piece again. I added the leaves and then the gum flowers before baking it again. Finally I added the snake and baked it for the last time. I did a small amount of sanding on the koala to remove fingerprints. Then I used thin layers of gloss on the green of the snake, the koala’s nose and on the leaves. I strung it on a grey/brown eyelash thread before adding the catch to finish it off.


No comments: